DR Congo coach Florent Ibenge has been handed a four-month extension and tasked with winning the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt or be axed from the job.
The 57-year-old coach, who also manages local top-flight Vita Club, had been criticised by the country’s football officials and fans for the ‘lack of progress’ of the national team.
However, the qualification to the upcoming AFCON doused the pressure on the coach but that could only be temporary.
“We have decided to give Mr Ibenge and his collaborators a four-month extension with the objective of winning the 2019 AFCON. If the objective is not met, we would unfortunately part ways with the coach and his staff,” Barthelemey Okito, secretary of the ministry of sports said on Tuesday.
Ibenge responded moments later, describing the objective as ‘too high’, considering the quality of the players in his current team.
“With the quality of players we have, how do we work with such objective? It’s not fair to put such high pressure on the players. We will go to Egypt and do our best,” he said.
The draw for the tournament will be held in Cairo on Friday.