Cape Verde, DR Congo and Kenya pull have pulled out of this year’s second round of CAVB Continental cup which serves as the Tokyo 2020 Beach Volleyball Olympics Qualifier in Abuja.
Host Nigeria and Zambia will lock horn on Saturday to determine first position at the second round qualifiers slated for Jabi Lake, Abuja.
Cape Verde, DR Congo and Kenya cited the case of Corona virus discovery as the reason for pulling out of the continental cup.
The President of Volleyball Federation, Waithaka Kioni revealed that the Principal Secretary of the Ministry of Sports, Joe Okudo advised that the Ministry of Health will not clear national teams to travel to any country where Corona Virus cases had been confirmed.
The President of Confederation of Africa Beach Volleyball Commission, Ahmed Khanou said the withdrawal of the three countries will not affect the determination of two qualifiers from the pool.
Khanou who is also the Chairman of the Control board committee of the tournament expressed delight on the arrangements and organisational acumen of the host federation, Nigeria Volleyball Federation.
He said, “The second round will continue despite the withdrawal of Cape Verde, DR Congo and Kenya. I learnt they attributed their withdrawal to the Corona virus but Zambia is in Nigeria.
“CAVB is delighted with the level of arrangements and organisational by the Nigeria Volleyball Federation and we hope to return to the country soon for other Africa tournaments”.
Nigeria had recorded its first coronavirus case on February 25, an Italian engineer traveling from Milan (one of the Italian towns affected by the virus) to Lagos via Istanbul aboard Turkish Airlines.