AWCON: Equatorial Guinea’s reinstatement, Kenya appeal

AWCON: Equatorial Guinea’s reinstatement, Kenya appeal

The Confederation of Africa football (CAF) have reinstated Equatorial Guinea in the forthcoming tournament after being initially banned with less than 10 days to the start of the 11th edition of the Women’s Africa Cup of Nations (AWCON).

Last month, ACLSports reported the ban placed on Equatorial Guinea for fielding an ineligible player by the name Annette Jacky Messomo. The bone of contention was that the said player is from Cameroon and should not be representing Equatorial Guinea.

However with recent developments one wonders what went wrong initially that has resulted in CAF rescinding their decision to replace Equatorial Guinea with Kenya.

“Regarding the eligibility protest against player Annette Jacky Messomo during the match no. 30 Equatorial Guinea vs Kenya played in the frame of the Total African Women’s Cup of Nations 2018, the Appeal Board decided as follows:

1.      The appeal lodged by the Federación Ecuatoguineana de Fútbol is admissible.

2.      The decision no 001-CAI-08.09.2018 is overruled.

3.      The player Annette Jacky Messomo is eligible to play for the National Team of Equatorial Guinea.

4.      The National Team of Equatorial Guinea is reintegrated in the Total African Women’s Cup of Nations 2018.

This was the press release from CAF on Wednesday evening and with this development the following questions have been asked:

1. Wasn’t there an investigation before the decision to disqualify Equatorial Guinea and if there was what changed between then and now?

2.  If there was a solid reason to reinstate them after the appeal as stated in the press release, then why disqualify a team before proper investigation is carried out?

3. With Equatorial Guinea banned by FIFA for the Women’s World Cup, what happens to their slot should they make the top three and shouldn’t the ban be binding on CAF also?

4. Kenya have been preparing for the AWCON which means expenses must have been incurred amongst many other things. What should they do now?

Talking about Kenya, they aren’t taking the decision by CAF likely and have released a press statement showing their displeasure while also referring the matter to the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS).

 

That said, the Super Falcons are drawn alongside South Africa, Zambia and Equatorial Guinea/Kenya (just incase) and will begin their title defence against South Africa on the 18th of November in Cape Coast.

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published.