The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) men team and the NSCDC women teams both emerged winners of the 2019 national volleyball premier league in Abuja.
Civil Defence defeated the all conquering Customs male team 3-2 (21-25, 25-18, 22-25, 25-22, 15-9), but it was too little, too late as Customs retained their title, having won their four previous games with 30 points.
NSCDC narrowly finished second after their performance against NCS with 24 points while Kano Pillars placed third position with 23 points after beating Nigeria Police Force who finished fourth place with 22 points.
Nigeria Immigration Service came fifth with 19 points while UCEM of Enugu placed sixth with 2 points.
In the female category, NSCDC outclassed the sleek Customs ladies 3-0 (25-19, 25-23, 25-18) to dethrone them as champions.
The NSCDC ladies emerged champions with 32 points followed by Customs-28 points, Army-20 points, immigration -10 points, Kada Emeralds-9 points and Benue queens-3 points.
Captain of the NCS team, Sunny Akapson expressed his joy for winning the championship adding that they will put up an impressive performance when they play at the continental club championship next year.
“We promised to win the title at the end of the tournaments and we have done that all thanks to the NCS for their support,”he said.
“We are now going to shift all our attention to the continental club championship coming up next year and we promised to do the nation proud” he added.
The premier league which started on November 21 ended on Saturday at the indoor sports hall, package B of the Moshood Abiola stadium in Abuja
The male teams that participated in the league are Nigeria Customs Service, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Nigeria Police Force, Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS), Kano Pillars, Plateau Rocks, UCEM and Famous Spikers.
The female teams are- Nigeria Customs Service, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps Nigeria Immigration Service, COAS Spikers, Benue Queens, Delta Force and Kada Emeralds.
- Best Spiker- Ogunshina Obayemi (Nigeria Police Force)
- Best Blocker- Isaac Geoffrey (Nigeria Customs Service)
- Best Server-Sunday Akinbo (NSCDC)
- Best Defender-Samson Akinbona (Nigeria Customs Service)
- Best Receiver-Seun Adegbite( Nigeria Police Force)
- Best setter- Emmanuel Samuel (NSCDC)
- MVP- Seiyefa Dikiya (Nigeria Customs Service)
- Best Spiker- Albertina Francis (NSCDC)
- Best Blocker-Prisca Nkemnekwu (COAS Spikers)
- Best Server-Francisca Ikhiede (Nigeria Customs Service)
- Best Defender- Jummai Bitrus (NSCDC)
- Best Receiver- Chinedu Nnachi (COAS Spikers)
- Best setter- Sharon Achi (NSCDC)
- MVP- Ijeoma Ukpabi (COAS Spikers)