2014 Commonwealth Games silver medallist, Yinka Ayenuwa says his target is to win a medal for Nigeria at the Paris 2024 Olympics in the weightlifting event.
The 2015 All African Games silver told www.aclsports.com that preparations for the forthcoming Olympics started in 2019.
The Nigeria Weightlifting Champion said with modern weightlifting facilities at his disposal in the United States of America, the 2024 Africa Games will serve as a training tour.
He said, “I am seriously preparing for the Paris 2024 Olympics and I want to tell you that the journey began in 2019. I won three gold medals at the 2018 Southern California Weightlifting Championships in the US before winning 2 gold and 1 silver medals for Team Delta at the 2019 National Sports Festival in Abuja.
- Advertisement -
“My first target was to represent Nigeria at the 2023 African Games in Ghana, but it suffered postponement till 2024. I have access to modern weightlifting training facilities here in the US and this has assisted me greatly. I believe I have what it takes to land a medal for Nigeria in Paris next year”, Ayenuwa told www.aclsports.com from his base in the US.
The former African silver medallist said his wealth of experience gathered over the last 15 years will prove effective in upcoming International Championships.
He said, “I have been active for the last two decades winning laurels for my state and country. This is the time for me to cement my name in the history books by ensuring Nigeria’s flag is hoisted at various International Championships.
Yinka Ayenuwa has won the following Laurels for Nigeria:
- 1 gold and 1 silver at the 2007 All African Games in Algeria
- 1 silver at the 2007 African Weightlifting Championship in South Africa
- 1 bronze medal at the 2013 Commonwealth Weightlifting Championship in Malaysia
- 1 silver medal at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Scotland
- 3 silver medal at the 2015 All African Games in Congo
- 1 gold medal at the 2016 Arnold Sports Festival in US
- 3 gold medals at the 2018 Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) weightlifting championships in US
- 3 gold medals at the 2019 Southern California weightlifting championships in US
- Ranked 16th at the 2007 World Weightlifting Championship
Ranked 16th at the 2007 World Weightlifting Championship