Cameroon coach Hugo Broos says he is still on board, days after he was handed a notification by the football federation normalisation committee to quit his post.
The 65-year-old Belgian was appointed in February 2016, and led the Indomitable Lions to clinch the Africa Cup of Nations a year later in Gabon.
However, the team’s failure to qualify for the 2018 Fifa World Cup prompted the decision to part ways with him ahead of the expiration of his contract next February.
In Cameroon, the sports ministry is responsible for the recruitment and dismissal of the national team’s coach and not the football federation.
“I don’t know what will happen now. I am waiting for the ministry (sports). They have not said anything and so I remain on board,” Broos said on Friday.
“I think what the Fecafoot (FA) did is not serious. It’s a joke, a drama, what is currently happening in Cameroon.”
Last month, Broos issued an ultimatum to both the Fecafoot and the ministry of sports to renew his contract or release him.
“All I want is some respect and consideration. We won the 2017 Afcon and so I expected to be treated differently,” he said at that time.
Despite enjoying a wide popularity in the central African country after his team, composed largely of fringe players, went on to claim the ultimate at the 2017 Afcon, the former Anderlecht coach is reportedly having issues with a couple of his players including Karl Toko-Ekambi of French club Angers due to the coach’s choices during the 2018 World Cup qualifying.
“It is going to be a difficult situation. Even if the ministry decides for me to stay, I would have to work with a football body that no longer wants me in the house,” Broos said.
Cameroon will return to action in January with friendly matches against Congo and Angola.