Adeniji on target again as MFM down 10-man Rangers

Adeniji on target again as MFM down 10-man Rangers

MFM youngster, Kabiru Adeniji scored his second goal in as many matches as the Olukoya Boys defeated Rangers International 1-0 at the Soccer Temple in Agege on Wednesday.

Adeniji’s first half strike was enough to hand MFM a hard-fought win against the Flying Antelopes who had a Tolu Olusesi sent off in the second half.

Adeniji has now scored two goals in two matches for the Olukoya Boys.

“I am very happy because Rangers are not a small team and I thank God for helping my team to three points,” Adeniji told minutes after the match.

The encounter was the sixth meeting between the two sides, with Rangers looking for their first ever win against their hosts at the Temple.

The Enugu based side who were without their star striker, Godwin Aguda, started the brightest and created the best chances in the opening 20 minutes but were let down by some poor finishing from former Super Eagles forward, Uchebo Michael.

However, against the run of play, the home side found the breakthrough as academy graduate, Adeniji, found himself at the end of a loose ball before calmly slotting past Nana Bonsu in goal for Rangers from close range to put MFM 1-0 ahead.

It was Adeniji second goal at Agege, after netting against Kwara United in their first home game of the campaign.

Ten minutes from half time, Olusesi received his first yellow of the game for a very bad foul on Akanni Elijah before MFM almost doubled their advantage three minutes later through Akuneto Chijioke but the midfielder failed to direct his shot past Bonsu.

The half ended with the hosts 1-0 ahead, leaving Rangers with questions to answer at the break.

After the break, the visitors pressed on in search of the equaliser, but it was MFM who will put Bonsu to test as Zikiye Jonathan unleashed a ferocious effort from range that brought the best out of the Ghanaian who came to the rescue of Rangers with a superb finger tip save.

Things went from bad to worse for Gbenga Ogunbote’s side when they were reduced to ten men 13 minutes from time.

Olusesi received his marching orders after a cynical foul on Ogwu Clement, with the referee wasting no time in dishing out to the a second yellow to the defender before sending him off.

With their numerical superiority, MFM held on for the victory and another three points.

The result means Fidelis Ilechukwu and his boys have now recorded their second win and clean sheet of the season, while Rangers, playing their first game of the season, will return to Enugu as they came, without a point.

    Leave a Reply